Ahoy, ‘mates

Today is my first day as a Studiomate! Over my left shoulder, the Manhattan Bridge is stretching out across the East River. I’ve just had lunch with a group of my favorite creative people. Excited doesn’t begin to cover it. I’m so happy to be part of this amazing little community of designers, illustrators, developers, and writers. I can’t wait to work and learn with them.

The view. Photo by Raul Gutierrez

Also, this past week was my last at Hoefler & Frere-Jones. During my brief time with them I learned a great deal, and it still blows me away that I was able to work with such a legendary group of designers. I’m very proud of the work we’ve done, and I can’t wait to see all the amazing things they’re sure to do in the months and years to come. I’m going to miss working with them, and I wish them the best of luck.

The reason for my departure is nothing dramatic; I’ve just been hungering to do client work again. I didn’t know how much I would miss the pacing and challenges that come with juggling a variety of projects, and I’ve found that without that environment, I’m unfulfilled.

This is good news for any front-end developers looking for full-time work, since H&FJ is hiring again. If you’ve got a strong knowledge of Javascript, and feel passionate about web development, let Jonathan know.

Lastly but definitely not least-ly: what’s next? Well, my good friend Andrew of MetaLab got in touch and said they needed design help right away, and I jumped at the chance. I’ve worked with MetaLab in the past, and we’re a perfect fit. Andrew and his team understand exactly how I work, and our sense of humor and style jive well. Not to mention they’re insanely freaking talented. So, if you’re looking for a fantastic group to make your next interface, get in touch.

13 Responses

1. Welcome! Glad to have you join us. :-)

2. Michael Aleo says:

Congrats on (re)taking the plunge. When you refreshed your site I wondered if you were heading in this direction. When you get that itch to do client work on your own, it’s almost impossible to ignore.

Best of luck and can’t wait to see what work you turn out next!

3. Aunt Marsha says:

Congrats on the new job!!! I’m so proud of you Meagan!
    Love you, Aunt Marsha

4. Shane says:

WOW! Crazy, that is awesome that you have gotten yourself in a position to where you can make these types fo decisions. Through your hard work you have basically put yourself in such demand that you can be VERY selective over what work you do. Thats AWESOME!

Congrats!

5. Tyce Cle says:

Wow, that’s huge news Meagan! Congratulations, you’ll have a blast and enjoy doing what you love :)

6. zee7 says:

many many congrats Meagan and wish you gud luck :)

7. Marie Poulin says:

So awesome!
    Sounds like there are no shortages of opportunities for you. You are super talented, and I really look forward to seeing you at Interlink in June, Congrats!!

8. Scott says:

On one hand I’m a little surprised, but on the other, after reading your previous post the other day, I half suspected something like this might be on the horizon – I’ve certainly struggled with many of the same things you mentioned over the years. Heck, I continue to, to some extent. But I, like so many others have seen great things come from you already and hope that this move gets you closer to that place where you can feel satisfied and fulfilled with the work you’re doing. Best of luck!

Now if only my javascript skills were more ninja-like and I lived south of the 49th parallel…

9. Vanessa says:

Congrats Meagan!! <3

10. Barbara says:

Wishing you the best. :)

11. Meg Fisher says:

I am very happy for you. Glad everything is going well in your life.

12. Kristen says:

Welcome! Look forward to talking more (I sit over near our Studiomates Cafe) :)

13. Trent Walton says:

Congratulations on the move & on joining Studiomates! I’m starting to wish I could teleport in to work there from TX.